With warmer days beginning to seem a little more realistic and the hope of spring in the Naples air, many people are already looking forward to the vacations they have planned in the upcoming months. So as those trips begin to get a tad closer and you begin your spring break prep, be sure to get your home ready for you to be gone. From energy savings to safety considerations, keep these few tips in mind as you take off for a little rest and relaxation.
- Invest in timers – getting timers for your lights gives you the chance to make it look as though you’ve never left. Adding timers to a number of lights around your house and setting them to match your normal schedule can make it look as though you’re just going about your everyday business, throwing off would-be criminals.
- Consider a sitter – whether it’s a friend or a family member, consider having someone drop by to check on your house while you’re away. And just because you’re on vacation doesn’t mean that you can slack when it comes to maintaining your home. That’s why it’s helpful to have a house sitter keep an eye on things. Plus, it also gives you the opportunity to take advantage of some energy savings by having them ensure your thermostat is off and everything is sealed up tight.
- Think before you share – before you go posting from the airport that you’re off to the Caribbean for a few days, think about whether it’s necessary to post such a thing. After all, it doesn’t just tell your friends and family that you’re not home, but also alerts potential criminals that you’re away.
- Stop the mail – a simple, but effective way to protect against burglars. Plus, you can put a hold on your mail online now, making it really stress-free to do even if you forget before boarding your plane.
- Pull the plug – by now most people understand that electricity is still being used even when something isn’t being used, so why not unplug your smaller electronic devices while you’re out of the picture? It’s an easy way to increase energy savings, and when you unplug your garage door, it can also help protect your home.
- Adjust your thermostat – it’s another way to improve your energy savings and makes a ton of sense. Turning your thermostat to a setting such as vacation mode keeps you from paying for heating and cooling while you’re out of town too. And with all of the digital thermostats available, you could easily program your thermostat to have your home back to peak comfort as you come back home.
Of course these aren’t the only ways to make the most of energy savings or keep your home secure, but they’re easy to add to your spring break prep list. So if you have any questions about these tips or are interested in maintaining total home comfort with a new thermostat, give CNR Air Conditioning Inc in Naples a call at 239-241-5318.