While winter seems like it’s already been here for far too long, its impact on our heating bill is just beginning. Achieving low energy costs during the coldest months of the year can be challenging, but that doesn’t mean you can’t take steps to help reduce those costs. That’s why we’ve come up with a few furnace tips to help keep soaring heating bills at bay.
To start controlling your heating bills and increasing your energy efficiency this winter, consider:
- Keeping your blinds open over the warmest hours of the day to allow sunlight in, warming your home naturally.
- Sealing leaks around your home’s windows and doors with caulk or weather stripping.
- Purchasing a programmable thermostat so that you can better control the temperature in your home, which will also improve energy efficiency.
- Cleaning or replacing your furnace filter regularly.
- Inspecting your heating vents to make sure they are open and aren’t blocked by any obstructions
- Replacing your old furnace with a newer, more efficient model if you’ve had your current furnace for more than 15 years.
- Putting insulation in your attic to keep warm air from escaping.
- Checking your roof to ensure your shingles are intact, and that no holes or areas need sealing.
Attempting to keep your energy bills low and energy efficiency high, is a year-round battle, one that can seem overwhelming at times. However, that doesn’t mean that you can’t do some of the smaller things to make sure you’re keeping your bills as low as possible. If you have any questions related to the tips above or questions about how you can lower your heating bills, give us a call at 239-241-5318. Our experts are here to help you keep your home comfortable all year long, even with the crazy Naples weather.