Anyone who’s ever had to wait for a delivery to show up understands it can be a frustrating experience. The wait is even more annoying when it’s a crucial piece of HVAC equipment like a new furnace or air conditioner. With backlogs and supply shortages, some people are waiting weeks for their new HVAC system to show up. If you’re considering upgrading your current system with something like furnace installation in Naples, it may be a good idea to order sooner rather than later.
These shortages are a result of several problems within the supply chain. We’ll explain how these issues have affected the HVAC industry as well as what you can do to reduce the impact.
Why Is There an HVAC Product Shortage?
Common HVAC systems like furnaces and air conditioners are complex pieces of technology. Normally this is a great thing for homeowners, as this means more efficient heating and cooling. But recent hiccups in the supply chain impacts how quickly these systems can be produced and shipped. There are a few reasons why your new air conditioner or furnace is delayed, such as:
- COVID-19 Precautions: As people continue to navigate COVID-19, taking sick days and other safety precautions have gradually contributed to the backlog. A couple extra days every now and then accumulates over time.
- Supply Chain Issues: International supply chains are designed for peak efficiency and may take a while to correct themselves when consumer demands or the availability of materials shift. While companies find alternatives to help catch up, existing backlogs continue to make steady, if slow progress.
- Rise in Costs of Raw Materials: Metals such as steel and copper are crucial for efficient HVAC equipment. Key materials also include plastics and even finished electronics like microchips and semiconductors. These two components are particularly scarce.
- Worker Shortage: As industries wind back up, they’re also facing a shortage of workers compared to the spike in demand. Professional HVAC technicians also require time to train to make sure they provide dependable, efficient services.
As you can imagine, all these concerns have slowed the gears of the HVAC industry. As equipment takes longer to arrive, people sometimes have to wait longer for services like air conditioning installation. Fortunately, you still have options for minimizing delays.
4 Ways to Lower the Impact of HVAC Product Shortages
Are you actively searching for new HVAC equipment? Or do you just want to avoid being left without heat or air conditioning? Whatever your reasons are, there are ways to minimize how the HVAC product shortage affects you.
- Stay on top of routine maintenance: Services including routine air conditioning maintenance are one of the best investments you can make for your HVAC system. Components stay in better shape, which means more effective performance and a smaller risk of problems.
- Watch for signs of equipment failure: A surprise shutdown can leave you stuck waiting for a replacement. Listen for strange sounds and monitor your energy bill for evidence your HVAC system is in trouble.
- Order in advance: If you were waiting to install a new furnace or air conditioner, it may be a better idea to go ahead and make the order. Even with existing supply chain issues, you’ll be more likely to receive your new equipment when you actually want it.
- Explore alternative equipment: If an existing make or model is experiencing a shortage, considering alternatives might open up more options. Thanks to modern technology, there are more choices for high-efficiency HVAC systems than ever.
Request a Free Quote for New HVAC Systems
The HVAC pros at CNR Air Conditioning Inc want to minimize your wait times for a new furnace or air conditioner. If you’re considering new or replacement installation, it’s a good idea to get a head start. Request your free estimate today by giving us a call at 239-241-5318.